Sunday, July 13, 2008

Spinning In Sussex To Help Keep You Sane?!

Another sunny Sunday morning - another Spin class to cover in Haywards Heath!

I wrote about some of the pro's and con's of Spinning and other methods of indoor cycling in another blog post.

After today's session i realised a couple of things.

I was going to say the best exercise i got was the run i had to do to get to the Dolphin Centre on time! Especially as i don't get that much running done generally.

On the way back i was just leisurely walking, so i had time to reflect.

I was thinking about something i had previously said about spinning - the fact that it can be seriously limited in terms of movement skills. I'll still stand (jump and skip!) by that, but something else became apparent today.

I've often said that hard training helps to keep me sane - or at least feeling good! It kind of reconnects me to a sense of primal physical expression.

In a society that can lack anything in the way of physical exertion or expression as part of daily life, and be full of intangible stressors, being able to 'blow off steam' physically is essential.

For this purpose it doesn't really matter what the activity is. The important thing is being able to work hard involving the larger muscle groups in the body and let your mind and body get rid of any stress.

Combine this with the possibility of moving to a repetitive rhythm in the music and this has got to do something to enhance the mental benefits of the training.

Different activities may better achieve this mental benefit more easily for some individuals. Experiment with which options provide you with the most benefit.

I would still rather make the majority of my training tick several boxes, and therefore choose something far more whole body, demand a certain amount of movement skills, and raise my metabolism.

Something more one dimensional would therefore play a far smaller role in my overall training plan.

With this in mind, and in order to focus far more of my time and energy into Personal Training and Bootcamps, i have cut a couple of my Spinning classes from Sawyers in Haywards Heath in the last week.

The mental benefits to training are just some of the awesome reasons to keep up your good hard work.

Be an Everyday Athlete and add life to your years!!

Steve Cork
www.sussexbootcamps.co.uk
www.everydayathletes.co.uk

No comments: